2019-2020 Elmhurst Catalog 
    Dec 10, 2019  
2019-2020 Elmhurst Catalog

Regulations and Services

Planning a Program of Study

The academic regulations contained within this section are applicable to undergraduate students who begin their academic programs at Elmhurst in the 2019-2020 academic year.

Planning a Program of Study

In planning a program of study at Elmhurst College, students should note the distinctions among degrees, full-time and part-time enrollment, and degree or non-degree status. A number of regulations and a variety of procedures change according to degree, enrollment and degree status.


Elmhurst College confers five undergraduate degrees:

  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing 
  • Bachelor of Music
  • Bachelor of Liberal Studies 

While requirements for each degree vary, all require a minimum of 32 units of credit (128 semester hours). The academic program consists of three interrelated parts:

  • Courses that meet the Elmhurst College Integrated Curriculum
  • Courses that fulfill requirements of the major
  • Elective courses that students select to satisfy intellectual curiosity or to enhance the breadth of their academic programs


The undergraduate academic programs of the College are administered in two forms: traditional programs and degree-completion programs for students 24 years of age or older. Students hold status as enrolled students in the College by admission into either program. Student program is determined at the time of admission according to the program, academic interests, and student preference.

Students are expected to become familiar with the regulations of their programs. Students who change from one program to another should first speak to an advisor in the Office of Advising.

Enrollment Status

An undergraduate student is considered full time when enrolled for three or more units of credit (12 semester hours or more) during Fall Term or Spring Term. A student is considered half-time when enrolled in 1.50 to 2.99 credits in Fall Term or Spring Term. A student is considered less than half-time when registered for less than six semester hours. A student is considered non-degree when not formally admitted to an academic program at the College. Non-degree students register after degree-seeking students.

Declaration of a Major

Students are required to select and complete the requirements for one major, an area of concentrated study. Courses taken for the major must be completed with a letter grade for courses where that grading option exists. Students may declare a maximum of three majors while pursuing a degree.

Students are encouraged to explore fully the Integrated Curriculum courses at the College but are expected to declare a major field of study prior to the completion of the sophomore year.  Declarations of or changes in major are handled through the Office of Advising.

The College permits students to work with appropriate faculty members to develop individually designed interdepartmental majors in areas where a standard major has not been developed. See Additional Academic Opportunities for more details.

Academic Advising

Elmhurst College regards academic advising as an important part of a faculty member’s responsibility in guiding students toward reaching their potential. The academic advising program offers each student the opportunity to work closely with a faculty or academic advisor to plan a coherent educational program appropriate to the student’s interests and goals that will help the student fulfill the requirements for the bachelor’s degree and aid the student in making good use of the resources of the College. These advisors can also assist students in the registration process, explain academic regulations and procedures, and ensure that students apply for graduation in a timely manner.

The final responsibility for the educational program and for meeting graduation requirements rests with the student.

Academic Advising: Traditional Programs

Typically, students in traditional programs are assigned faculty advisors in their majors who meet with them regularly to explore academic interests, to discuss course selection for the upcoming terms, to help determine a major area of study and to investigate postgraduate pursuits. Students who have not yet declared a major upon reaching sophomore standing are assigned to an academic advisor in the Niebuhr Center.

In order for faculty or academic advisors to advise new students more effectively, the College recommends that all new students take the appropriate placement and proficiency tests prior to initial registration.

Each new traditional freshman is assigned a first-year program faculty advisor. Advising conversations include discussion and decision making regarding the student’s major or area of interest, academic planning, goal setting and making the most of campus resources. Freshmen must meet with their faculty advisor prior to registration.

The Learning Center

The Learning Center offers services to support the academic performance of all Elmhurst College students. Sessions are structured to promote principles of effective, self-regulated learning and academic management. Areas of tutoring include math, statistics, writing, academic reading, biology, kinesiology, study strategies, executive functioning strategies and special test-taking preparation (i.e., ACT, GRE, TAP).

Students are encouraged to come to the Learning Center at any point in their learning process to work one-on-one or in small groups with a tutor. Activities are designed to guide students toward developing and refining skills and strategies they will need to participate and succeed in college classes and their professional careers.

The Learning Center also houses Access and Disability Services. Elmhurst College will make accommodations for students with disabilities based on the presentation of appropriate documentation. For more information about Disabilities Services, students should contact Dr. Linda Harrell, Access and Disability Services Coordinator, at linda.harrell@elmhurst.edu or (630) 617-6448.

Transfer Credit

Courses are accepted in transfer if they were earned at a regionally accredited college or university and are either comparable to courses offered at Elmhurst College or commonly regarded as a study in the liberal arts. Coursework completed at grade level D or better will be awarded transfer credit. One unit of credit at Elmhurst College is equivalent to four semester hours or six quarter hours of transfer credit. Although transfer courses in which F grades were earned will not receive Elmhurst College credit, these grades are posted on the Elmhurst College transcript and calculated in the combined grade-point average. All transcripts of prior work, including alternate sources of credit (see the following page), must be submitted to the College within the first term of enrollment at Elmhurst College.

Acceptance of transfer credit toward the major is determined by the appropriate department chair. Students must successfully complete credits in the major field at Elmhurst College equal in number to at least one-half the total units of credits required for the major.

Courses taken at a community college will not fulfill any of the 10 credits required at the 300/400 level.

Transfer Grade-Point Average

Transfer students begin with a grade-point average based on all college-level courses attempted for letter grades at previous institutions. Graduation honors are based on the combined grade-point average of all transfer and Elmhurst College courses attempted for a letter grade.

Collegiate Instruction

A maximum of 24 units of credit (96 semester hours) may be presented from four-year institutions toward the fulfillment of the minimum course requirement. Under certain circumstances, the College may accept courses taken at four-year colleges beyond the 24 credit limit (96 semester hours) as excess credit, raising the number of credits needed to graduate.

A maximum of 17.50 (70 semester hours) may be presented from two-year institutions toward the fulfillment of the minimum course requirement. Under certain circumstances, the College may accept courses taken at two-year colleges beyond the 17.50 credit limit (70 semester hours) as excess credit, raising the number of credits needed to graduate.

Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)

The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) allows students to complete a prescribed set of general education core curriculum courses at an Illinois college or university and transfer those courses as a package to another. Elmhurst College recognizes the IAI status for transfer students when an official college transcript indicates IAI completion with either a statement like “Completed the Illinois General Education Core Curriculum” or the conferring of an associate of arts or science degree. Elmhurst College will evaluate courses in accordance with the College’s requirements and the IAI policy. The IAI core curriculum must be completed and associate degree awarded prior to enrollment at Elmhurst College.

As Elmhurst College is a strong liberal arts institution, each area from the following should be represented in students’ coursework:

  • Inquiry into Ethics and Justice
  • Religious Studies in Context
  • Literature
  • Fine Arts
  • Historical Analysis
  • Social and Political Analysis
  • Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences
  • Physical Science
  • Life Science

These can be filled by native students at Elmhurst College through the Elmhurst College Integrated Curriculum (ECIC); transfer students also are expected to have similar exposure to each of the areas. With the completion of the IAI curriculum, students will be required to satisfy a maximum of two additional Area of Knowledge courses from unfulfilled categories at any level from ECIC to ensure proficiency of the liberal arts focus of the institution. Remaining Area of Knowledge coursework must be completed at Elmhurst College. The IAI curriculum applies only to the Areas of Knowledge and does not in and of itself satisfy any other components of the Integrated Curriculum (such as tags, proficiencies and developmental experiences).

Concurrent Enrollment and Transfer Credit

Under exceptional circumstances, students enrolled at Elmhurst College may wish to enroll in courses at other institutions and apply credits earned toward their degrees at Elmhurst College. Appropriate forms are available in the Office of Advising. The written permission of the dean of the faculty must be obtained prior to registration at any other institution.

Once students are enrolled at Elmhurst College, they may present courses from accredited institutions toward the graduation requirements for Elmhurst College only if they received the prior endorsement from their advisor and received permission from the dean of the faculty.

Alternate Sources of Credit

Elmhurst College provides alternatives by which students may obtain credit for areas in which they are competent. Three general principles govern:

  • A maximum of 12 units of nontraditional credit (48 semester hours) may be counted toward the graduation total.
  • Credit cannot be awarded that duplicates credit awarded through regular courses or other nontraditional sources.
  • Requests for nontraditional credit are subject to approval by department chairs.

Credit from all alternate sources must be awarded and recorded in the Office of Registration and Records no later than six months prior to the date of graduation.

With respect to specific sources of alternate credit, students may find the following helpful:

Advanced Placement

The Advanced Placement program of the College Board gives students an opportunity to pursue college-level study while still in high school and to receive college credit by examination. Advanced Placement (AP) courses based on a standard curriculum are offered in many high schools, and AP examinations are given during May by the Educational Testing Service.

The AP examinations are prepared and scored by national committees of college and high school teachers on the following scale: 5, extremely well qualified; 4, well qualified; 3, qualified; 2, possibly qualified; and 1, no recommendation. Score reports are sent in July to the colleges each student designates at the time of the examination. Elmhurst College’s AP code is 1204.

Elmhurst College grants credit for examination scores of 3 or above, toward Integrated Curriculum requirements (refer to the Elmhurst College Integrated Curriculum section of this catalog) or major, minor and/or elective credit as indicated on the following chart. Each examination may earn from 0.75 to 2.00 credits (3 to 8 semester hours), and credit is awarded upon receipt of official scores from the College Board. While Elmhurst College will accept all approved AP scores of 3 or higher for credit, any amount over the maximum of 8-course credits will increase the minimum graduation total. AP credit does not count toward the graduation requirement of 10 credits at the 300/400 level.

For further information regarding AP examinations, students should contact the Office of Advising.


EXAM Credit* Credit Course

Art History

1.0 HA ART 341  

Studio Art (Any Genre)

1.0 FA Elective Credit 
BIOLOGY 1.0 LS BIO 100  

Calculus AB

1.0 Math MTH 151  

Calculus BC

2.0 Proficiency MTH 151  & MTH 152  

Research and Seminar

1.0   Elective Credit
CHINESE LANGUAGE 1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency Elective Credit

Computer Science A

1.0   CS 220  




Elective Credit

CS 111  



1.0   ECO 211   


1.0   ECO 210  

English Language

1.0 ENG 105  Proficiency ENG 105  

English Literature

1.0 LT ENG 200  
FRENCH LANGUAGE 1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency FRN 202  
GERMAN LANGUAGE 1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency GRM 202  

Comparative Government & Politics

0.75 SPA POL 301  

United States Government & Politics

0.75 SPA POL 201  

European History

1.0 HA HIS 111    

United States History

1.0 HA HIS 302  

World History

1.0 HA HIS 116  
ITALIAN 1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency Elective Credit
JAPANESE LANGUAGE 1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency Elective Credit

Latin Literature

1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency Elective Credit
MUSIC THEORY*** 1.0 FA Elective Credit**

Physics 1

1.0 PS, Q PHY 111  

Physics 2

1.0 PS, Q PHY 112  

Physics C: Mechanics

1.0 PS, Q PHY 121  

Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism

1.0 PS, Q PHY 122  

Spanish Language

1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency SPN 202  

Spanish Literature

1.0 For. Lang. Proficiency SPN 452  

*1.0 Course Credit = 4semester hours or 6 quarter hours 

** If there is an equivalent course 

*** Music majors may earn credit for Music Theory 1 (MUS 135 ) after the determination by a Music Department Advisor.

***Both separate Research and Seminar exams must be taken and passes with score of “3” or high

CBS=Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences; FA=Fine Arts; HA=Historical Analysis; LS=Life Science; LT=Literature; PS=Physical Science; Q= Quantitative Reasoning; SPA=Social and Political Analysis

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is a rigorous two-year secondary school curriculum, leading to examinations, which allows its graduates to fulfill the requirements of several national educational systems. Courses are offered at the standard level, representing 150 teaching hours, or the higher level, representing 240 teaching hours.

IB courses are graded by a variety of techniques, involving both conventional techniques (essay, short answer, multiple choice) as well as the evaluation of coursework by the teachers. Individual subject examinations are graded on a seven-point scale: 7, excellent; 6, very good; 5, good; 4, satisfactory; 3, mediocre; 2, poor; and 1, very poor. International Baccalaureate examinations are held in May, with a smaller November session, available primarily for students in the southern hemisphere.

Elmhurst College grants credit toward Integrated Curriculum requirements or elective credit for examination scores of 5 or above on higher-level examinations only. No credit is granted for standard-level examinations. Each examination may earn from 1.00 to 3.00 credits (4 to 12 semester hours) and credit is awarded upon receipt of an official grade report. A maximum of 8 credits (32 semester hours) may be counted toward the graduation total.

For further information regarding International Baccalaureate examinations, students should contact the Office of Advising.

IB EXAM Credit* Credit Course
BIOLOGY 1.0 Life Science BIO 100  
CHEMISTRY 1.0 Physical Science CHM 211  
COMPUTER SCIENCE 3.0   CS 220 , CS 255 , CS 310  
DANCE ARTS 1.0 Fine Arts THE 221  
ECONOMICS 2.0   ECO 210, ECO 211
ENGLISH A: LITERATURE 2.0 Writing Proficiency; Literature ENG 105 , ENG 200  
ENGLISH A: LANGUAGE & LITERATURE 2.0 Writing Proficiency: Literature ENG 105 , ENG 200  
FILM ARTS 1.0 Fine Arts  
FRENCH A1, A2, B 2.0 Foreign Language Proficiency FRN 202  
GEOGRAPHY 1.0 Social & Political Analysis GEO 111 GEO 112  
GERMAN A1, A2, B 2.0 Foreign Language Proficiency GRM 202  
HISTORY (All topics) 2.0 Historical Analysis HIS major
ITGS (Info Tech Global Society) 1.0    
ITALIAN A1, A2, B 2.0 Foreign Language Proficiency ITL 202
LATIN 2.0    
MATHEMATICS 2.0 Math Proficiency MTH 151 , MTH 152  
MUSIC ARTS 1.0 Fine Arts  
NORWEGIAN A: LITERATURE 2.0 Foreign Language Proficiency  
PHILOSOPHY 1.0 Inquiry into Ethics & Justice PHL 210  
PHYSICS 2.0 Physical Science PHY 121 -PHY 122  if credit also received for IB Mathematics; PHY 111 -PHY 112  if no credit for IB Mathematics
PSYCHOLOGY 1.0 Cognitive & Behavioral Sciences PSY 210  
SOCIAL ANTHROPOLOGY 1.0 Social & Political Analysis SOC 212  
SPANISH A1, A2, B 2.0 Foreign Language Proficiency SPN 202  
THEATRE ARTS 1.0 Fine Arts THE 227  
VISUAL ARTS 1.0 Fine Arts  
*One credit equals four semester hours.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Through CLEP, students may be able to earn college credit by passing an exam in a variety of subject areas. If a student has a strong background in English literature, for example, he or she may wish to take the literature CLEP exam to earn a general education credit in that discipline. CLEP credit usually counts toward general education requirements or electives. It rarely is accepted for major credit. Offered by the College Board, CLEP is ideal for transfer students who have transferred the maximum number of credits and still need to complete some Integrated Curriculum requirements. Credit for CLEP exams applies only to lower-level credit. For more information, contact the Office of Admission.


College Composition  CLEP.ENG 50 1.0  ENG 105   Writing Proficiency 
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP.LIT 53 & approved essay 1.0 ENG 200   Literature 
Human Growth and Development CLEP.HGD 52 1.0 PSY 315   None 
Introductory Psychology  CLEP.PSY 50 1.0 PSY 210   Cognitive & Behavior Sciences 
Introductory Sociology CLEP.SOC 50 1.0 SOC 211   Cognitive & Behavior Sciences 
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 CLEP.WCIV1 50 1.0 HIS 111   Historical Analysis 
Western Civilization II:1648 to Present  CLEP.WCIV1 50 1.0 HIS 112   Historical Analysis 
US History I: Early Colonization to 1877 CLEP.USHS1 50 1.0 HIS 301    Historical Analysis 
US History II: 1865 to the Present  CLEP.USHS.2 50 1.0 HIS 302   Historical Analysis 
College Mathematics  CLEP.MATH 50 1.0 MTH 110   Mathematics Proficiency 
Algebra  CLEP.ALG 50 1.0 MTH 121   Mathematics Proficiency 
Pre-calculus CLEP.PCALC 50 1.0 MTH 132   Mathematics Proficiency 
Calculus CLEP.CALC 50 1.0 MTH 151   Mathematics Proficiency 
Biology CLEP.BIO 50 1.0 BIO 100   Life Science 
Chemistry CLEP.CHEM 50 1.0 CHM 211  ** Physical Science 
Elementary French  CLEP.FRN1 50 1.0 FRN 101   Foreign Language Proficiency 
Elementary German CLEP.GRM1 50 1.0 GRM 102   Foreign Language Proficiency
Elementary Spanish  CLEP.SPN1 50 1.0 SPN 102   Foreign Language Proficiency
Intermediate French CLEP.FRN2 62 1.0 FRN 202   Foreign Language Proficiency
Intermediate German CLEP.GRM2 63 1.0 GRM 202   Foreign Language Proficiency
Intermediate Spanish  CLEP.SPN2 66 1.0 SPN 202   Foreign Language Proficiency
Financial Accounting CLEP.ACC 50 1.0 BUS 261   None 

 **CLEP exam is approved to complete Major requirement. 

  • All accepted examinations with a credit-granting score may be used as elective credit if they do not fulfill integrated curriculum requirements.
  • CLEP credit must be awarded and posted at least 6 months prior to graduation (except Literature test).
  • Students may earn up to 8.00 course credits with CLEP exams. (Elmhurst only accepts exams listed above.)
  • Students may not earn credit via CLEP for a course in which they have already received credit.
  • CLEP exams cannot be used to count for a Tag in “Integrated Curriculum.”
  • CLEP exam is approved to complete major requirement.
  • Deadline for literature exam only, one year prior to graduation; 90-minute essay required after objective test completed, administered by the Office of Adult and Graduate Admission at Elmhurst College, (630) 617-3300.
  • Elmhurst College Test Code: 1204 (Elmhurst College does not offer the CLEP exams onsite).
  • For more information, visit the CLEP website at: www.collegeboard.org/clep/

Credit for Noncollegiate Instruction

Students may be eligible for college credit for coursework completed through associations, corporations, unions, government agencies and the military services. To be considered for such credit, students present the College with documentation of coursework upon submission of the application for admission. Credit for noncollegiate instruction applies only to lower-level elective requirements and cannot duplicate any prior or required coursework. 

Registration for Courses

Registration is the process by which students officially enroll in the courses offered for a coming term, complete satisfactory arrangements with the Office of Student Financial Services for payment of tuition and fees, and thereby have standing in the College.

Degree-seeking students must be admitted to the College prior to the registration process, except for January Term and Summer Term. Students previously admitted but not registered in the current term must be readmitted unless they have been granted leaves of absence. Admission and readmission take place through the Office of Admission. Students with an administrative hold may not register. There are four types of administrative holds:

  • Business holds prevent current students from registering for a new term unless all financial obligations to the College are completed or arrangements are made with the Office of Student Financial Services. Students are urged to contact the Office of Student Financial Services before registration begins if they have questions regarding financial arrangements.
  • Medical holds are placed by the Wellness Center if all medical records are not up to date.
  • Advisor holds are placed if a student has not conferred with his or her faculty or academic advisor before registering.

Additionally, transcripts of all collegiate work completed before entering Elmhurst College must be submitted to the Office of Registration and Records before registering for a second term.

Full-time students in traditional programs must meet with their advisor and obtain their advisor’s approval or written signature before registering for or changing their Fall and Spring term class schedule. Changes in registration include adding and dropping courses, withdrawing from courses, and changes in grading preference.

Degree-completion program students are required to meet with the director of the adult and graduate student support services in the Office of Admission prior to their initial registration for classes. It is strongly recommended that continuing adult students enrolled in degree-completion programs meet with the director prior to registration each term, to ensure that their course selection will meet the requirements of the College for program completion.

Full- and Part-Time Status

Enrollment in a minimum of three units of credit (12 semester hours) in Fall Term and Spring Term is required to be considered a full-time student. A part-time student is enrolled in fewer than three units of credit.

Typical Course Load

The typical credit load for a full-time traditional program student is four units of credit (16 semester hours) for Fall Term and Spring Term and up to one unit of credit (4 semester hours) in January Term. Although registration in Summer Term is optional, the maximum load for all students is 2.25 courses at the same time.


For traditional and degree-completion program students, a course load that exceeds 4.75 units of credit (19 semester hours) during Fall Term or Spring Term is considered an overload. A cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 is required to carry an overload. Students need their advisor’s written permission and signature to add overload courses. No more than six (6.00) credits are permitted during the Fall or Spring terms; no more than one credit is permitted during January Term; and no more than 2.25 credits are permitted during the Summer Term at the same time.

Students should also consult the Office of Student Financial Services regarding overload charges.

Withdrawing from Courses

During the first week of the Fall and Spring terms (see the College Calendar for dates), students may add or drop courses. After the first week of classes, students are expected to complete the courses for which they are enrolled. A student who finds it necessary to drop a course after the first week of classes must withdraw officially from the course by completing an Add/Drop form and following the procedures in the Office of Registration and Records. Withdrawals also may be done online. It is recommended that students confer with their advisor before dropping courses.

For a course officially dropped on or before two-thirds of its completion, a W (withdrawal) will be entered on a student’s permanent record. A request to withdraw from a course after the 10th week of classes in the Fall and Spring terms (see College Calendar for dates) will not be accepted unless this action is approved by the instructor and the registrar.

A student who does not follow these procedures will receive an F for the course(s) not completed.

Evaluation of Academic Work

The Elmhurst College grading system offers three options: regular grading, Pass/No Pass and Audit. Students must select regular grading for courses used to satisfy the Integrated Curriculum requirements and courses used to satisfy the major and minor requirements. Regular grades are used in determining grade-point averages, academic standing and qualifications for honors. Grades will not be changed after they have been posted to the student’s academic transcript except with the permission of the registrar.

Pass/No Pass

A Pass grade (P) indicates a student has successfully completed the work in a course. A grade of No Pass (NP) is recorded if the work in the course is not completed at a passing level. No academic credit is awarded for No Pass courses.

Students may elect to take no more than a total of one unit of credit (4 semester hours) per term on a Pass/No Pass basis. No more than six units of Elmhurst College credit (24 semester hours) graded on a Pass/No Pass basis may be counted toward the minimum number of courses required for graduation. Integrated Curriculum, major/minor courses and mathematics courses required for the Bachelor of Science degree cannot be taken Pass/No Pass unless that is the only grading option. Students should confer with their advisor before choosing the Pass/No Pass option.


Students may choose to Audit courses in which they are enrolled and have met the prerequisites. Under this option the student’s obligation is to attend the course. Tests and other forms of evaluation are optional. No credit is earned, but an entry of Audit is included on the permanent record. Standard fees are charged for courses taken with Audit grading. It is recommended that students confer with their advisor before choosing the Audit option.

Changing Grading Preference

To request a change in grading preference after the first week of the Fall and Spring terms, students must complete an Add/Drop form, including an advisor’s signature, for processing by the Office of Registration and Records. Students may request a change in grading preference up to the end of the 10th week of classes in Fall Term and Spring Term. Check the Academic Calendar for dates in January and Summer terms.

A 4.0

Excellent: Student performance has been at the highest levels; course requirements have been met with sustained excellence

A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0 Good: Student performance has been above average; course requirements are being met with a sustained level of competence
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0 Satisfactory: Student performance has been adequate; satisfactorily meeting all course requirements
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0 Poor: Student performance has not been satisfactory; meeting the minimum course requirements for passing
F 0.0 Failure: Student performance has been consistently below the minimum levelfor passing course
I 0.0 Incomplete: Given to students who demonstrate that extraordinary circumstances prevent completion of the course
P/NP 0.0 Pass/No Pass
AU 0.0 Audit
W 0.0 Withdrawal: Appears on transcript for a course dropped after first week of classes, but before 2/3 of its completion

Disputed Final Course Grades

The normal presumption in the administration of grades at Elmhurst College is that the instructor alone is qualified to evaluate the academic work of students in their courses and to assign grades to that work. For this reason, questions regarding an instructor’s assessment of the quality of academic work are not normally subject to review. However, when a student believes that a grade was assigned in a manner that was arbitrary or inappropriate in the Elmhurst College academic setting, or that crucial evidence was not considered, the student shall follow the procedures outlined below.

A grade dispute must be brought in writing to the instructor by the end of the fifth week following the term in which the disputed grade was given. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate the process even if this must be done initially in writing rather than in person.

Establishing a Claim for a Disputed Grade Grievance and Organization of the Board

  • When a final course grade is disputed, the student and the instructor should meet to discuss the matter and seek an appropriate resolution. If the disputed grade is not resolved, the student may forward the matter to the chair of the department of the instructor and/or the program director. If the attempt to settle the issue fails at this level, it moves to the Office of Academic Affairs.
  • The student should submit a document indicating the student’s position and the rationale for the claim. The student must also provide whatever documentation is needed to support the claim. The instructor may do the same. The Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) or their delegate meets with both the instructor and the student and confers with the chair of the department. If after this investigation and review the VPAA, or delegate finds merit in the appeal they may initiate next level of action on the dispute, otherwise they will inform the student that the disputed grade will remain as reported.
  • The next level of action is the convening of a Hearing Board, which will consist of the Vice President for Academic Affairs or their delegate, who shall chair the board; the Vice President for Student Affairs or their delegate; two faculty members; and two students selected in consultation with the chair of the Academic Standings Committee. The parties directly involved may have one silent advisor present. The Chair shall designate a secretary or invite an administrative assistant who is responsible for recording the salient issues and the actions of the Hearing Board.
  • The parties involved will be asked to submit written arguments to be circulated among members of the Hearing Board. It is expected that the parties in disagreement appear before the Board, but the hearing will proceed despite a failure to appear. When all presentations are complete, the Board, in executive session, shall reach a resolution of the problem.
  • If the Hearing Board finds that a grade has been assigned in a manner that was inconsistent with policies stated in the syllabus, or inappropriate in the Elmhurst College academic setting, or that critical evidence was disregarded, the Hearing Board may direct the Registrar to change the grade to one the Board deems appropriate as dictated by the documented and objective evidence provided. The decision shall be represented in writing to the involved parties and others who need to know the results of the hearing. The chair shall maintain a file of relevant material for a period of at least two years.
  • The decisions of the Hearing Board shall be final.



An Incomplete (I) may be given to a student who demonstrates to the course instructor that extraordinary circumstances exist that prevent the completion of the course within the regular term. Students who wish to receive an Incomplete must obtain the consent of the instructor before the date on which final grades are to be submitted. This approval must be submitted by the instructor on a Request for Incomplete Grade form, signed by both the student and the instructor. Appropriate forms are available through the Office of Registration and Records.

An Incomplete granted for any term becomes a failing grade (F) or a No Pass grade (NP) if the work is not completed within three weeks after the end of the term. Requests for an extension of time to resolve an Incomplete will be approved only when the instructor is satisfied that circumstances prompting the request to justify waiving this three-week policy. Incomplete grades can be held for a maximum of one year only under unusual circumstances. Incompletes must be resolved prior to graduation.

Repetition of Courses

Students may repeat a course in which they received a grade of C-, D+, D, F, P, or NP no more than two times. Students may not repeat any course in which they receive a grade of C or better. In all cases, individual department policies concerning repetition of courses in the major take precedence. When a course is repeated for credit, the earlier grade remains on the student’s permanent record and will appear on all transcripts. Only the last enrollment and grade will be used in computing the grade-point average and awarding of credit.

All repeats must be taken at Elmhurst College, whether the course was originally attempted for credit at Elmhurst College or at another institution. The only exception to this is if the course originally taken elsewhere has no equivalent course at Elmhurst College. Please note: The written permission of the dean of the faculty must be obtained prior to registration at any other institution. A repeat may not be by independent study. 

Class Attendance and Examinations

Official College policy is that students are expected to be present at classes and examinations. Registration is not an appropriate activity for missing classes. Faculty members shall grant permission to make up class attendance, class work and examinations if the absence is due to illness or emergency, order from the U.S. military, participation in a college-sponsored activity, or death in the family. Each faculty member has the right to establish additional regulations or appropriate conditions for absence and make-up work provided such regulations do not override established College policy.

Final examinations are given at the end of each term as part of the instruction procedure. Final examinations must be taken at the regularly scheduled times. If students are prevented from being present at announced tests by one of the previously mentioned circumstances, they may be permitted to make up the tests and should contact the course instructor to complete arrangements.

Academic Honesty

Academic life presupposes honesty with respect to work that students present. Failure to follow such practice in assignments or examinations will subject the student to disciplinary action. For details, consult the Code of Academic Honesty in the Elmhurst College Student Handbook, which is available from the Office of Student Affairs or on the College website.

Academic Standing

The following regulations apply to the determination of academic standing at Elmhurst College.

Classifications of Students
Degree-seeking students are classified as follows:


  • First-year (Freshman): has completed fewer than eight units of credit (32 semester hours)
  • Sophomore: has completed a minimum of eight units of credit (32 semester hours)
  • Junior: has completed 16 units of credit (64 semester hours)
  • Senior: has completed 24 units of credit (96 semester hours)
  • Second degree: a student seeking a second bachelor’s degree

Non-degree students are those who enroll for a course or courses without planning to seek a degree. Non-degree students are subject to all appropriate College regulations.

Students who wish to change their status from non-degree to degree-seeking must make a formal application for admission in the Office of Admission. The admission decision is based upon a review of the transcripts of all previous collegiate academic work and the student’s academic performance at Elmhurst College.

Academic Good Standing

The College designates students as in good standing if they make satisfactory progress in their academic work with respect to a grade-point average, number of credits and fulfillment of requirements.

To be in good standing, all undergraduate students must maintain a combined, cumulative and term grade-point average of at least 2.00.

  • Term grade-point average is based on the average of grades earned in all courses taken for a single term at Elmhurst College.
  • The cumulative grade-point average is based on the average of grades earned in all courses taken at Elmhurst College.
  • The combined grade-point average is based on the average of grades earned in all college-level coursework, including courses taken at Elmhurst as well as courses accepted as transfer credit from other institutions.

Grade-point averages are determined by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of courses attempted for A-F letter grades. Courses in which pass grades were earned are counted in earned totals but are not included in the calculation of the grade-point average.

See previous pages for grade points assigned to letter grades.

Second-degree and non-degree students must have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 for each term of work taken at Elmhurst College.

To make satisfactory progress, degree-seeking students must regularly earn a minimum quantity of credits. Full-time students are required to complete a minimum of six-course credits in each 12-month period. Part-time students are required to complete a minimum of three-fourths of the courses for which they registered in each 12-month period. Full-time students normally earn sufficient credits to earn 32 credits in four years.

Degree-seeking students normally must make satisfactory progress in fulfilling Integrated Curriculum requirements, electives and requirements for their majors.

Dean’s List

Those who qualify for the Dean’s List are Elmhurst College students who, during fall or spring term, have attained a current grade-point average of 3.75 or better. Students who have unresolved incompletes for the term are not eligible.

Graduation Honors

The calculation of graduation honors for all undergraduate students is based on the combined grade-point average of all Elmhurst College and transfer credit.

The standards for degrees of distinction are:
Summa Cum Laude: 3.900-4.000
Magna Cum Laude: 3.700-3.899
Cum Laude: 3.500-3.699

In computing this grade-point average, all work graded with an A, B, C, D and F (including plus and minus grades) is counted, with the exception of courses successfully repeated.

Since every student must meet the residency requirement of eight credits, the honors designation shall be based on the completion of a minimum of 32 semester hours or eight course credits at Elmhurst College.

Graduate and second-degree students are not eligible for graduation honors.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

The Academic Standings Committee reviews the academic records of all students at the end of the Fall and Spring terms to determine their academic standing. Students who are not in good standing are subject to procedures leading to academic probation and dismissal from the College.

Students whose Elmhurst College term, cumulative and combined grade-point average falls below 2.00 will be placed on academic probation.

To return to good academic standing and avoid dismissal, students must earn a minimum term grade-point average of 2.00 for the term immediately following the one in which they were placed on academic probation (excluding J-Term and summer) for as long as their cumulative and/or combined grade-point average remains less than 2.00. If while on academic probation a student’s grade-point average again falls below 2.00, the student will be subject to dismissal.

Students who do not meet the conditions of their academic probation as well as full-time students who earn grades of F, NF or NP in every course for the term are subject to dismissal from the College for poor scholarship. Students who are dismissed have the right to appeal if they have significant information that would warrant a reconsideration of the dismissal decision. Dismissed students may apply for readmission to Elmhurst College after one year has passed. Students who have been dismissed and do not successfully appeal may not register for classes at all, including as a non-degree or visiting student.

Additional information about the academic standings policy may be obtained from the Office of Advising or the academic advising website.

Leave of Absence

Voluntary Leave of Absence 

An undergraduate student who requires time off from his or her academic program for personal, military or medical reasons, but who intends to return to the College within one year, may request a leave of absence. A student may request a leave of absence by completing an Application for Leave of Absence form, which is available in the Office of Student Affairs. Students are responsible for meeting their financial obligations to the College if a mid-term leave of absence is sought.

Process for Requesting a Leave of Absence

  1. Office of Student Affairs: Meet with the Student Affairs Case Manager to complete the Application for Leave of Absence.
  2. Office of Student Financial Services: Meet with Student Financial Services to protect future eligibility for scholarships, grants, and/or student loans and regarding outstanding balances to a student account.
  3. Office of Academic Affairs: Meet with Academic Affairs to discuss the implications of interrupting enrollment.

Communication with Students on Leave of Absence

All students are expected to check their Elmhurst College email address in a timely fashion while on leave. All official communication from Elmhurst College faculty and staff will continue to be sent to a student’s Elmhurst College email address.

When a request for a leave of absence is approved, the student will receive a letter from the Office of Student Affairs that:

  • Specifies the terms and conditions of the leave
  • States the academic advisor of record with whom they must meet before returning
  • Requests to contact administrative offices such as Student Financial Services, Office of Academic Affairs, etc
  • Provides a list of student services and facilities available, as well as registration dates for the following term
  • Provides instructions on how to complete the re-entry form prior to class registration and returning to Elmhurst College

Returning from a Leave of Absence

All students returning from any type of leave of absence must complete a re-entry form before registering for classes and returning to Elmhurst College. The re-entry form can be obtained through the Office of Student Affairs. Re-entry forms must be completed no later than 6 weeks prior to the first day of classes. Students are required to meet with their academic advisor or program director to discuss course selection for the upcoming semester. In some cases, a meeting with the Office of Student Affairs will also be required. Students returning from a medical leave of absence will be asked to provide medical documentation to support their return. 

If the student whose leave is approved does not return at the end of one term, the student will automatically be withdrawn from the College, with the withdrawal date being the date that the student began the leave of absence. Once the student is withdrawn, they may seek readmission through the Office of Admission. Any outstanding account balance is immediately due in full.

Graduate Students

A graduate student requesting a leave of absence is required to meet with the program director to complete the Application for a Leave of Absence. Once the request has been received, students will go to the Office of Student Financial Services and the Office of Academic Affairs to complete the approval process.

Medical Leave of Absence

Students may request a medical leave of absence if they need time away from Elmhurst College for treatment of a physical or mental health condition that affects their ability to function safely and successfully as a member of the Elmhurst College community. Students requesting a medical leave of absence will be required to provide medical documentation and each leave is individualized based on the needs of the student. The approval for a medical leave of absence will include treatment expectations during the leave of absence and may require coordination with a healthcare professional. Medical leaves of absence are individually tailored to meet each student’s situation and handled on a case-by-case basis.

Military Leave of Absence

Any currently enrolled student going on active military duty needs to consult with the Offices of Advising and Registration and Records to determine whether to withdraw from all registered courses or request incomplete grades and complete the courses later. If the student decides to take a leave of absence, the Office of Student Affairs must be contacted to complete an application for leave of absence. This leave can be requested at any point during the semester, depending on the term of duty. Students on leave of absence for military duty will be allowed to withdraw from current term courses without any financial penalty if a mid-term leave of absence is sought. See the Withdrawal Policy for Military on Active Duty for more information.

For the complete Leave of Absence policy and required form, visit the College website or the Elmhurst College Portal.

Financial Obligation

A student on an approved leave of absence is expected to make regular monthly payments to the Office of Student Financial Services if there is an outstanding balance. Prior to registering for courses, the student may sign a promissory note if his or her balance is less than $1,000 and will be required to make an initial minimum payment of 10% of the new term’s cash balance, in keeping with usual College policies.

Withdrawal from the College

Should it be necessary for a student to withdraw from the College at any time during the term, he or she must consult with the Office of Advising and follow the procedures outlined in the Elmhurst College Student Handbook (E-Book). The effective date of withdrawal from the College is established by the Office of Registration and Records. When withdrawing from the College, students are responsible for all financial obligations incurred. After the end of the 10th week, withdrawal forms will not be processed until the completion of that term. No Ws can be earned after the end of the 10th week.

A student who withdraws must reapply and be re-admitted through the Office of Admission.

New students who have registered for classes but who have withdrawn from all their courses prior to the sixth day of class in the Fall or Spring terms may not take a leave of absence. They should contact the Office of Admission to discuss deferring their admission.

Withdrawal Policy for Military on Active Duty

Any currently enrolled student going on active military duty needs to consult with the Offices of Advising and Registration and Records to determine whether to withdraw from all registered courses or to request incomplete grades and complete the courses later. If the student needs to withdraw or take a leave of absence, the Offices of Advising, Student Affairs and Registration and Records will process the appropriate paperwork.

If the student requests incomplete grades for the current term, no tuition aid adjustments will be made to the student’s account and the student will be given permission to extend payment of any outstanding balance due. If the term of active duty is extended beyond a reasonable period of time, as determined by the instructor and registrar, the student’s grades will be changed to W (withdrawal) and tuition charges will be adjusted so the student is not penalized financially for the withdrawal. Students presenting an original copy of their orders to the Office of Student Financial Services will be allowed to withdraw from current term courses without financial penalty.

Students who live on campus and are required to report for military service will be released from residence life and food service contract obligations. Charges for housing and food service will be prorated based on the date the student checks out of his or her room or apartment.

Grade Reports

Grades are available online within two weeks after the close of the term. Grade reports are not mailed. If a student requires an official copy of term grades for reimbursement purposes, a copy may be requested, in writing, from the Office of Registration and Records.

Enrollment Verification

Students may present requests for official certification verifying enrollment or other related information to the Office of Registration and Records.


Transcripts of the academic record show students’ courses and grades, current standing with the College and, for graduates, the degree, major(s), minor and academic honors.

Transcripts are issued for any current or prior student except those indebted to the College who have not made arrangements for payment that are satisfactory to the Office of Student Financial Services. Transcripts are issued within three business days of the request.

The fee for each official transcript is $10. To order a transcript, click on the link “Request a Transcript” in the alumni link located in the footer of the Elmhurst College website.


The College confers degrees in February, May, August and December and holds the Commencement ceremony in May. Students who apply for graduation in a timely manner are notified via email regarding dates, times and details of public Commencement exercises. Students are not allowed to participate in the Commencement ceremony until all requirements have been fulfilled.

The required graduation fee is billed in students’ final Fall or Spring term. Diplomas are not issued until indebtedness to the College is paid in full.

Application for Graduation

Degree-seeking students must apply for graduation at least one year prior to their anticipated graduation date, so that they have two full terms to make any necessary adjustments to their schedules. Students apply for graduation by submitting an Application for Graduation to the Office of Registration and Records.

Students who have applied for graduation will not have their degrees posted until all graduation requirements have been met. All degrees will be posted as of the first graduation date (February, May, August or December) after all requirements have been met.

Eligibility for Extracurricular Activities

Guidelines for eligibility are presented in the Elmhurst College Student Handbook (E-Book). Rules governing the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) are followed with respect to eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.

Student Code of Conduct

A full statement of campus regulations may be found in the E-Book. Each student is expected to become familiar with the regulations. Copies are available from the Office of Student Affairs or on the College website.

Privacy of Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that provides for the maintenance of the confidentiality of student education records and the rights of students to examine and, when appropriate, challenge the accuracy of those records. Elmhurst College intends to comply fully with this law.

Student education records are kept in several areas on campus. Official academic records and supporting educational and biographical data are maintained in the Office of Registration and Records for currently and previously enrolled students, and in the Office of Admission for those students applying for admission to the College. Parts of these data are provided to College faculty and administrative departments, advising and student support services. Student financial records related to tuition and fee payment and the receipt of financial aid are maintained by the Office of Student Financial Services. Records of disciplinary proceedings leading to suspension are kept in the Office of Student Affairs. Health and medical records are maintained in the Student Health Service. For students who avail themselves of its services, the Career Services Office maintains records appropriate to its function.

Only Elmhurst College faculty and staff, acting in a student’s educational interest or performing college-related functions, shall have access to student education records. No one outside the College shall have access to, nor will the College disclose information from, student education records without the written consent of the student, except in accordance with the law. State or federal officials primarily concerned with evaluating and auditing government-funded programs at the College, individuals or organizations connected with a student’s application for financial aid, organizations performing certain research activities, accrediting agencies and persons with official judicial orders may also have access to student education records, as may those who function in connection with an emergency or other special circumstances as provided by federal legislation. Elmhurst College shall make a reasonable effort to notify the student of a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena for student education records in advance of compliance.

Students may inspect information contained in their education records, with the exception of financial information submitted by parents or confidential recommendations related to admission. Requests for inspection should be made at the appropriate office and will normally be granted, subject to reasonable regulations related to time, place, supervision or record type. Copies of academic records are available to students at the prevailing rate and are not released if a financial obligation exists with the College.

A student may challenge the content of a record as inaccurate or misleading by filing a written statement with the appropriate College office. The responsible College representative will review the request with the student and either make appropriate changes or notify the student of his or her right to an appeal through the established College judicial process. Students may appeal the College’s decisions about the contents of records or file complaints concerning noncompliance with the appropriate federal agency. For additional information about student rights under FERPA, contact the Office of Registration and Records.

Although Elmhurst College does not publish a student directory, certain information is released on a discretionary basis without prior student consent. This information includes: a student’s name, major field of study, enrollment status, participation in NCAA-sanctioned College athletic activities, dates of attendance, photograph, name of hometown, degrees, honors and awards received. Such information is never knowingly provided any requestor for a commercial purpose. Requests to withhold such information should be directed, in writing, annually to the Office of Registration and Records.

Title IX

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 was the first comprehensive federal law to prohibit sex discrimination in federally funded education programs and activities. While Title IX is often thought as a law that applies to athletics and applies to all educational programs and activities at Elmhurst College. Conduct prohibited under the Title IX includes sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sexual violence, dating, and domestic violence and stalking. The law states:

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and its implementing regulation at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX).

All students, staff, and faculty at the college are protected under Title IX.

Elmhurst College’s policies regarding Title IX are outlined in the College’s Non-Discrimination Policy and Non-Harassment Policy, which is available on the College’s Title IX Website.

Monitoring and oversight of the overall implementation of Title IX compliance and the prevention of harassment and discrimination at the College, including coordination of training, education, communications and administration of grievance procedures for faculty, staff, students and other members of the College community, are managed by the College’s Title IX coordinator. Should you have questions or concerns related to Title IX, you should contact Elmhurst College’s Title IX coordinator.